THIS LISTING IS FOR INTERNATIONAL BUYERS ONLY. NO BATTERY INCLUDED DUE TO SHIPPING RESTRICTIONS. LINKS TO BATTERY WILL POSTED CLOSER TO CARTBOY LAUNCH.
Pre-orders are expected to start shipping late August - early September. This is subject to change based on how fast pre-orders fill and manufacturing/shipping times from the factory. We felt this would be the most straight forward way to secure funding for Cartboy. Due to restrictive battery shipping laws, the first batch will be limited to the US only. Limit one per customer until further notice. No refunds will be given after purchase. The only exception would be if we cannot complete orders on our end.
Cartboy was a pipe dream that started with the idea of putting a Raspberry Pi zero into an original Game Boy cartridge case. After designing the first prototype, we found many engineering difficulties with the concept. It would have been viable, however, it would have had roughly 15 minutes of battery life, limited controls, and had no sound. Cartboy development continued onward with 8 board revisions, countless case modifications, and test prints over an 8 month span. With a completely new casing and custom PCB, Cartboy is now a reality.
The assembly processes is straight forward and is detailed in the assembly guide (coming soon). It involves sanding of ~1mm of the Pi zero on the camera connector edge, removing the power micro USB port, and soldering the Pi zero to the PCB. The process takes 1.5-2 hours for people with moderate soldering skills.
The kit includes:
- Custom Raspberry Pi Zero AIO PCB
- 1.3" Bright LED SPI Screen with crisp color
- Captive pogo pin speaker
- FDM 3D printed LCD alignment guide and trigger assembly
- FDM 3D printed Cartboy case and buttons (Preorder colors choices: Grey, transparent red, transparent blue. Please list your preferred color in the cart under "notes". Default color will be grey if no color option is specified. All parts printed in PETG.)
- Micro USB OTG cable
- Mini HDMI to HDMI adapter
- Play all your retro favorites with CartOS, based on RetroPie.
- RGB LED battery status indicator
- Power button
- L/R trigger buttons, Dpad, ABXY, Start/Select (Metal dome switches on PCB)
- USB OTG for peripherals and adding game files
-Switchable video modes. Switch between built-in LCD and HDMI out. (Requires reboot.)
- Pressure-fit captive loud speaker
- Switchable standard 3.5mm headphone jack
- In-game volume control with button combo
- Micro USB port for charging via 5v 500mah. (Takes about 2 hours for full charge)
If you are looking for the DIY Tamagotchi of Game Boy zeros this is for you. Cartboy was designed with all gamers in mind.